I never think to use my slow cooker for entertaining. In my world the slow cooker is used for those comfort dishes on a cold winter night, or maybe the occasional dip to take to a party. But this cookbook offers so much more than that. How about a New Orleans-Style Vanilla Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce? Or maybe Mushroom-Gorgonzola Risotto in Radicchio Wraps with Balsamic Syrup? So I wonder why we decided on making the Creamy Refried Bean Dip? However, it may have something to do with a big football game being on tv this weekend.
What I can tell you about this recipe is that it is easy and everyone will love it. My oldest has requested for me to make it every day this week, that is how much he like it. The recipe itself takes about 5 minutes to mix everything together and then into the slow cooker it goes. Serve with different kinds of chips…..frito scoops is what we served it with. I think it would taste great with nacho cheese Doritos as well. Buy the vegetarian can of refried beans and you have an appetizer that is kind to your vegetarian friends as well.
Creamy Refried Bean Dip, page 35
- One 16 ounce can refried beans
- 1 cup picante sauce of your choice
- 1/2 cup regular or low-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- one 3 ounce package cream cheese, diced
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips for serving
- Combine the beans, picante sauce, sour cream, chili powder, and cumin in the slow cooker and stir until smooth. Fold in the cream cheese and Jack and cheddar cheeses. Cover and cook on LOW until the dip is hot throughout and cheesed melted, 1 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Set the slow cooker in the entertaining area. Set on LOW, leave the cover off and dip the tortilla chips.
To Joyful, Simplified Living,
MS. Simplicity, also known as Melissa Schmalenberger operates her business as I Did it with MS. Simplicity. She is a Professional Organizer based out of Fargo, ND and her website can be found here. Need to contact MS. Simplicity privately, you can email her at email@example.com