April 30, 2011
Looking for a grown-up version of a mozzarella stick? Then look no further. No traditional breadcrumbs on this one, but it is covered with phyllo dough. The mozzarella is kicked up a notch with placing in smoked mozzarella. Then to take it one step further, the sauce is honey and figs! Much better than marinara sauce.
Who doesn’t love Giada’s smiling personality? She can convenience anyone that they too can make some scrumptious Italian meals. I love whoever her food stylist is, as every picture makes my stomach rumble. Great pictures and great ideas. While the food is not all strictly your grandmothers spaghetti and meatballs, you will be sure to find something irresistible to make….just by looking at the pictures.
The Ruling: They were great. Fairly simple to make. The most difficult part was the deep-frying, but if you can do that, you can do anything. We used more than one sheet of dough when making ours, I think they turned out great. I did take the time to make the honey and the figs and boy am I glad I did. What a flavor combination!
Crispy Smoked Mozzarella with Honey and Figs, page 26
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, defrosted if frozen
- 6 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese at room temperature, cut into 6 sticks of equal size
- vegetable oil for deep drying
- 8 ounces dried figs, stemmed and quartered
- 3/4 cup honey, plus more for drizzling
- 3 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- Unfold the phyllo sheets and place on a dry work surface with a slightly damp towel on top to keep them from becoming brittle. Take out 1 sheet of phyllo and place it vertically on a work surface, with a short edge toward you. Place 1 piece of cheese near the bottom of the sheet. Fold the end up loosely over the cheese, then fold in the sides. Keep folding until you have a tidy package about 3 1/2 x 4 inches. Make 5 more packets with the remaining cheese and phyllo.
- In a large pot, heat an inch of vegetable oil to 250 degrees over medium heat. Fry the phyllo and cheese packages, 2 or 3 at a time, until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- While the cheese packages fry, combine the figs and honey in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until the honey is warm.
- To serve, place 1 cheese package on a plate. Spoon some figs onto each cheese package and drizzle some honey cover each serving. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and serve immediately.
To Joyful, Simplified Living,
MS. Simplicity, also known as Melissa Schmalenberger operates her business as I Did it with MS. Simplicity. She is a Professional Organizer based out of Fargo, ND and her website can be found at www.ididit-fargo.com . Need to contact MS. Simplicity privately, you can email her at email@example.com. For daily organizing tips find the MS. Simplicity fan page here.
If you try any of my suggestions, I would love to hear from you. It helps me to understand what my readers want me to write about and what they think is a waste of their time….thanks for taking the time to help me out.