Day 8: “Taste Of Home: Dinner On A Dime”
January 8, 2011
A natural progression from the “Taste of Home” magazine is of course the “Taste of Home” cookbook. I use to receive the “Taste of Home” magazine but I had problems with the searching each magazine for a recipe and the storage of the recipes that I want to make. The cookbook solves that problem by having a great index by ingredients as well as a general alphabetized recipes. There is a picture for about 50% of the recipes, which is pretty good considering there are 403 recipes in the cookbook. As always with “Taste of Home” you get easy recipes with items you probably have on hand in your pantry and refrigerator.
The Ruling: I made sausage and mushroom soup on page 199. I liked as did my husband (he is a big beef with barley soup fan) however my oldest picked all of the mushrooms out of his. And of course the other two children passed on the soup. Good thing I made BBQ pork sandwiches as the main course and they both loved that. I did add some red pepper flakes for heat as we like our soup spicy.
Sausage Mushroom Soup, page 199
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup quick cooking barley
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetable and barley are tender.
To Joyful, Simplified Living,
MS. Simplicity, also known as Melissa Schmalenberger operates her business as I Did it with MS. Simplicity. She is a Professional Organizer based out of Fargo, ND and her website can be found at www.ididit-fargo.com . Need to contact MS. Simplicity privately, you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org